Friday, November 13, 2009

Doctor's Orders

We are nervous for what tonight will bring.

Ellie has eczema. This fall it has been particularly bad around her mouth. I chalked it up to teething and use of her pacifiers. The doctor said to get rid of the paci. My heart sank. There goes my baby! How will she sleep? How will I sleep? It's not like she has been a great sleeper lately.

I love how honest my husband is. When we were discussing this, he reminded me that it would be harder on me than it is him. Those darn hearing aids! I wish he could sleep in them just for tonight.

So, good-bye paci. Ellie (and I) will miss you. You helped us through bumps and bruises, shots, and long car rides. You were there on the nights with little sleep, during snuggles, rock-a-byes, and good nights. Tonight I will tuck them gently into Ellie's memory box only to pull them out from time to time wondering where my baby has gone. Because in the morning when she wakes, she will no longer be a baby. She will be my sweet little girl complete with a ponytail.

2 comments:

  1. O Sus! I feel your pain! I cried with Ruby when we took hers away and then I cried when she was over them because I felt the same way - my baby was gone! I still have every one of her binkies. Good luck, I hope it goes as smoothly and quickly as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sus, I am crying right now! We Mommies are in this together, it is so tough! I am thinking of you, We have Tessa's Binkys in a keepsake box, so true, they are part of the Baby in them. I am not ashamed to say I cried when the binky fairy came to visit Tessa and I will when she flies in to see Ella!

    ReplyDelete