Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Uninvited!

Ethan went to the doctor on Monday to be told he had an ear infection. The doctor suggested that he stay home from school Tuesday and possibly Wednesday. Ethan and I stayed home from school today, the first student day back from break. What kid wouldn't love to prolong their vacation?!?! Not mine! About mid-morning Ethan and I had the following conversation.

Ethan: Mommy, can Luke and Jake come over and play?

me: No, buddy. They are at school today.

Ethan: But, I want to go to school. Why won't you let me go to school?

Me: Ethan, Dr. Dave said that you needed to stay home from school because you are sick.

Ethan (screaming mad and tears): I just want to go to school and learn, but you won't let me. Why won't you let me learn? Why? You hurt my feelings.


Now, secretly, the teacher in me is loving this. Yes, he wants to go to school and learn! Yes, he LOVES school, and hates to miss! But, the mother in me is thankful that the "sick kid" with a fever is at home and not bringing all of their germs to school.

Ethan was so mad at me that I was uninvited to his birthday party. This is the same boy that has been planning his birthday party since Halloween. The same boy that invited the furnace repair man, the same boy that has invited just about every teacher in school (some to his 10th birthday party), the same boy that invited complete strangers in the grocery store today, and the same boy that wants to invite "the whole Earth." Somehow, his Mommy is left off that list. That is, until I posed the following questions to him: "Who makes the birthday cakes for your party? Who sends out the invitations? Who buys the presents?" I think he might reconsider, as for now, he is ready to go back to school tomorrow. AND, I am ready for this family to be healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment